The main objective of a passive design is to completely eliminate the requirements for active mechanical systems (and the associated consumption of energy based on fossil fuels) to optimize the comfort of the inhabitants.
Advantages of passive design and optimal construction performance in a building:
- It helps to reduce or even eliminate energy utility bills.
- Improves the quality of the previous environment.
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions associated with heating, cooling, mechanical ventilation and lighting.
- It reduces the need for mechanical systems and their associated costs.
- Enables alternative energy systems.